What is Ayahuasca?
Ayahuasca is a prepared mixture of boiled banisteriopsis caapi vine. As well as the leaves from chacruna or chaliponga shrubs. Simmering this recipe produces a potent hallucinogenic substance called N, N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT). The substance can cause a chemical reaction to the blood barrier in the brain. This produce a chemical reaction that produces psychoactive effects.
The concoction usually made for shamanistic ceremonies in ayahuasca at the Amazon. Today, the drug can help people with drug and alcohol addiction.
The non-traditional use of the plant started during the late 20th. It generated a large number of tourists in the Amazon. The trend generated scientific research for the therapeutic properties of ayahuasca. This includes the potential benefit of the plant on the brain. Advocates claimed that the experience is life-changing. One popular claim states that the drug can cure people out of their addiction problems
Is Ayahuasca legal?
Ayahuasca contains DMT, a psychoactive drug and under a schedule 1 controlled substance in the United States. Most countries considered the drug illegal. These countries prohibit the use of the drug to treat addiction.
Religious groups in several countries petitioned and won the right to use the drug. The group use the ground for religious freedom. But, Peru offers the plant as a legal drug treat alcohol and drug addiction.
Can Ayahuasca treat addiction?
Observation suggested that the drug can produce positive effects for substance abuse problems. A study shows that patients who undergo four-day treatment improved their addiction management. But the works is at its early stage.
How does Ayahuasca work?
Ayahuasca stimulates a “visionary state of consciousness.” After taking the plant, the person goes through hallucinations and rapid thinking. The drug also rouses the multi-sensory experience of the person.
Most people will experience cleansing at some stage. A person can either experience severe vomiting or diarrhea. Shamans believed that cleansing during the ritual is important for the ritual. They considered the purging spiritual cleansing.
A person may also experience the following:
- feeling thrilled
- feeling terrified
- fear of death
Furthermore, the drug opens the experience of all emotions both positive and negative. Ayahuasca seized all sensation in the body. Several people claimed that their movements become heavy. Even when the drug creates powerful hallucinations, it does not weaken the awareness. People still remains alerted of their environment.
The treatment claimed that the intense experience enables the psychological growth. The sense of well-being increases under the influence of ayahuasca. It brings the mind to surface from the unconscious. The purging experience usually associated with the toxins built up in the body. As well as years of negative energy.
The experience associated with addiction treatment includes:
- Stimulating the unconscious mind, creating visions and repressing memories.
- The experience allows all 5 senses to function at the same time. It brings the cortical level of the brain to come out.
- In this stage of rapid thinking, dealing with the problem can uncover another way to solve it.
- Working with a therapist at this stage will help the person to further process and learn the new discovery about them.
- Also, the new discovery can lead to further progress of oneself. Applying the new material can pave way for a full recovery of a problem like substance abuse.
Positive Effects of Ayahuasca
- mild to extreme mood lift
- State of euphoria
- ego softening
- feelings of love and compassion
- a sense of inner peace
- deep life-changing spiritual experiences
- emotional healing
- mentally therapeutic
Why do people use Ayahuasca?
- As a hallucinogenic, Ayahuasca opens to an alternative world otherwise thought invisible. This “other world” is experienced in visions.
- This non-verbal experience can help people who are not good communicators.
- Life’s challenges become visions and images for the subconscious mind. Having another perspective from the problem can result to better alternatives and solutions.
- Ayahuasca can affect the subconscious mind. For someone, that means they can work better in solving their problems.
- Also, the drug can create visions which reduce the stress. It can influence negative thought which remains buried and neglect until it surfaces. This thought can affect the daily normal lives.
- Ayahuasca treats mental health problems, sometimes interconnected with substance abuse. The drug increases intellect and attention, decreases anxiety and helps improve self-esteem.
- It also helps in resolving past conflicts or traumatic events in a person’s life.
|Ayahuasca Experience Time|
|Onset||20 – 60 mins|
|Peak||30 – 45 mins|
|Plateau||1 – 2 hrs|
|Weakening effects||1 – 2 hrs|
|After Effects||1 – 8 hrs|
|Total Duration||4 – 8 hrs|
Risk of using Ayahuasca
Studies for the health benefits of the plant are still in its early stages. Psychologists warn people to take caution when taking the drug.
- The plant creates intense emotional experience, which can result in overwhelming sensation.
- People with mental disorders and the weak should take caution when taking the drug.
- The combination of the plant’s effects and its potent properties can be fatal. In the hands of unskilled shamans, this can lead to harmful effects.
- A good number of people seek out the experience. This ‘psychedelic pilgrims’ caused an increase of fake shamans. When these unskilled shamans administered powerful drug it poses more danger than good.
Negative Effects of Ayahuasca
- body aches