Oxycodone is often thought of as the lesser of the two evils as it is most often used in combination with other medications. This opiate is often formulated alongside Tylenol or Ibuprofen in several formulations. The number of prescription pain relievers with Oxycodone components include Tylox, Percodan, Percocet and of course, OxyContin. OxyContin, on the other hand, only contains Oxycodone.
The primary ingredient in OxyContin is also the active ingredient in many other pain medications. Therefore, “Oxycodone Extended Release” is said to be the better term for the generic versions of OxyContin.
How Are Oxycodone & Oxycontin Used?
Abusers tend to crush both of these medications’ tablet forms then swallow or snort. A few others dilute the drug in a little water then inject it directly.
There are individuals who smoke OxyContin and this has been a problem in several parts of the country. In fact, it is said to be the most abused opioid disregarding its severe adverse effects.
- In the pharmaceutical setting, the term “Oxycodone” is taken as the generic name of OxyContin.
- Oxycodone can relieve its users from pain for 4 to 6 hours.
- The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration or DEA revealed that Oxycodone is being abused for more than 30 years.
- OxyContin boasts stronger effects, having the pure concentration of the drug.
- Oxycontin is also more addictive than OxyCodone.
- Oxycontin, the branded pharmaceutical drug, is designed as a time-release pill that is expected to be effective for 12 hours.
- With the introduction of OxyContin in 1996, abusers have even escalated.
- OxyContin usually tampers or removes the time release formula so they can get a stronger dose right away.
- Users who get addicted to prescription drugs usually take OxyContin because it has a stronger dose and lasts longer than Oxycodone.
The Dangers Of OxyContin
OxyContin, aside from being addictive, is highly lethal. The drug actually makes you believe that you can take in more, while it is already developing respiratory failure. Often, the scenario happens when the drug is combined with other medications or alcoholic beverages.
Numerous rehabilitation and detoxification centers nationwide specialize in prescription medication addiction treatments. They give out tips to help people overcome a prescription abuse problem. According to the National Institute of Health, 3-5% of Oxycontin users have become addicted. Ergo, it is important to stay away from opioids as much as possible. If the patient has to take the prescription, he should seek help as soon as he suspects that he is already having a problem with dependency or addiction.
Rehab centers suggest that if you know of anyone struggling with Oxycontin addiction, they should get them help immediately. A third of users taking the prescription drug for a non-medical purpose are aged 12 and older. The Center of Disease Control and Prevention in 2011, in fact, revealed that more and more people die because of an overdose even on legal pain medications.